Skip To Main Content

Bi-Literacy Information

Seal of Bi-literacy Information

The Seal of Bi-literacy is an award given by the state of California in recognition of students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation. The Seal of Bi-literacy is a statement of accomplishment and is viewed as an asset for college admissions and future employers.

For more Information, and for the 2023-24 adjusted state requirements, please download the flyer


  1.  Fill out the California State Seal of Biliteracy Application.  This is required by the school district and is the place where you will demonstrate your qualifications. This application is typically due in early March each year.
  2.  Schedule an oral exam with the appropriate World Language teacher. (Email the teacher after finishing step one above.)


In awarding the Seal of Biliteracy to graduating seniors who met the requirements, the Mt. Diablo Unified School District seeks to: 

♦ Encourage students to develop and maintain biliteracy and multilingual skills 

♦ Affirm the value of diversity and honor the multiple cultures and languages of our community 

♦ Promote world language instruction in our schools 

♦ Promote the development of language and cultural appreciation and cross-cultural understanding 


The seal will be awarded to graduating seniors who have mastered standard academic English and any other language. Students wishing to receive the Seal of Biliteracy must submit an application form to their school office and meet the following requirements: 

♦ Complete all requirements for a high school diploma 

Maintain an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher 

Students must demonstrate proficiency in English through local summative assessment or their English classes in high school, or the AP Exam in English Literature or Language. 

Earn a score of proficient on the California English Language Development (CELDT) test (if taken) 

Demonstrate proficiency in one or more languages other than English by fulfilling one of the following four options: 

Receive a passing score of 3 or higher on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate exam for a language other than English. 


Successfully complete a four-year course of study in the same world language (two years in middle school equals one year of high school course credit), attaining an overall GPA of 3.0 in those language courses. 


Completion through level 4 of a world language with an overall 3.0 grade average in those language courses. 


Pass a foreign government approved language exam and receive a certificate of competency for that language from the authorizing government agency.